Hello lovelies!
I’m baaaaaa-aaaaaack.
I promised I would be! Although it’s been close to two years since you’ve heard from me last, not a whole lot has changed. Although, I suppose everyone believes that about themselves. I’ve learned and grown and studied and loved and lost—all sorts of things that I’d imagine you have been doing as well. But the travel bug has once again infected me, and I am off and away for my biggest adventure yet: I’m moving to Oslo, Norway for five months to study abroad!!!
I promised I would be! Although it’s been close to two years since you’ve heard from me last, not a whole lot has changed. Although, I suppose everyone believes that about themselves. I’ve learned and grown and studied and loved and lost—all sorts of things that I’d imagine you have been doing as well. But the travel bug has once again infected me, and I am off and away for my biggest adventure yet: I’m moving to Oslo, Norway for five months to study abroad!!!
Moving. As in packing up
a fifth of my belongings and leaving everything and everyone that I know behind
me. IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS, TOO!
People keep on asking me
if I’m excited for the trip, to which I say definitely. However, I’m also
overwhelmed, curious, elated, daunted, slightly intimidated, thrilled, sad, and
scared shitless. All of these emotions vacillate quite quickly, leaving me in a
perpetually drooling state of disbelief. I can’t believe that I’m leaving
tomorrow. Gah.
Just like last time, I
have no idea what’s ahead of me. I don’t know anyone in my program or anyone in
Norway, for that matter. All I know is that I’m eager to ride this new
adventure out. And you, dear readers—if you enjoy my ramblings—are also welcome
to tag along for the ride!
Before I go any further,
I feel I must address the metaphorically self-absorbed elephant in the room. I
realize that blogs can seem like somewhat narcissistic and odd outlets for
self-expression, and for that I want to apologize in advance. However, I found
that writing a blog about when I lived in New York City (which you can read
about here) was a cathartic way for me to both absorb my surroundings and
release my thoughts. Also, I’m an incredibly lazy writer. Really. Instead of
writing on napkins and in the margins of my school notebooks, unabashedly unable
to contain my joy for the written word, I tend to avoid writing for pleasure.
I’m like the Garfield of writers: always lolling about and avoiding
opportunities to express my thoughts. And yes, I also have an affinity for
lasagna.
Mostly, I think this
laziness comes from the fear that my thoughts may seem like utter poo when put
on paper. But for some reason, when I blog, I lose that fear and doubt. I get
to share weird stories and anecdotes that colored my life. Hopefully, they
provide smiles to someone out there, and at the very least, they serve as
precious markers to me of memories that otherwise would quickly fade. With that
in mind, here is your fair warning: sometimes my writing will be a little
lavatory scented. Or, at the very least, incredibly corny and slightly
melodramatic. But no matter what, I shall try as I might to stay entertaining, and
above all, truthful. The good, the bad, the ugly, and best of all, the awkward.
Which, let’s be honest: if I’m involved, awkwardness is bound to ensue.
Until then!
Always,
Allie
No comments:
Post a Comment